Thursday, January 10, 2013

Jan 10 - Shopping in Rapid City**

Monday, January 10, 1972
LOCATION: Bethlehem & Rapid City, South Dakota

11:30 PM
Snowed last night. I woke up at 10:30 and went to the stereo cabin where I found Matt. We shoveled snow till mass at about 12:30. Had lunch at 1:00. Wheezie and Brad were going into Rapid City, so Matt & I went with them, since we were going to go anyway, and we shouldn't drive the Imperial.

Last night Matt's parents called, then he called his real dad. His parents (rigid & conservative) don't mind him running off, but his dad (liberal) is slightly mad. Anyway, everything's basically fine except for the car which has an APB out on it still. Going to have to get that taken care of.

Anyway, we drove to Rapid, and M & I went to an optometrist -- he wanted new frames, and I wanted new clear lenses. We've got to go back Wednesday to get them. Then we proceeded to buy other stuff -- Matt got pants, shirts, records, film, and gloves -- I got a jacket, a book, wrist band, gloves, pants, belt, boots, and socks. After that we went to a restaurant to eat, then we went to the library, but on the way we were accosted by four or five beggars -- to a few in a car, Matt gave some cigarettes, and I gave a $5 (damn! I couldn't find anything smaller -- they only asked for 50 cents). We've got to be careful from now on. I've got just $2 left!

[A page is inserted here with these photos attached]

Here are pictures from those days in South Dakota. I got them in a letter sent by Tom Hildebrand today -- April 19, 1972. The top one was taken from the trailer next to the print shop. I'm wearing one of Matt's hats (Wheezie adopted that hat before we left), and in back is Storms [named for Loui Storm who bought the property in 1919, but we knew it as the stereo cabin], and behind that is the Chapel, comprising the main house where Fr. Gil lived. The lower photo is of Wheezie with me ambitiously shoveling in the background. The building is the Abbot's Cabin [the bunk house] where we all slept.
Grady Lyda, Bethlehem, South Dakota, January 1972 
Wheezie (Steve Minor), Bethlehem, SD, January 1972

No comments: